This incredible plant is one of Aotearoa’s most important medicinal plants, as well as being one of the most delicious! (BBQ rub anyone?)
This pack has been assembled to celebrate this amazingly unique native tree. If you’re lucky enough to be teaching or learning in a whanau group/syndicate team/pod or hub which bears its name, then you’re in for a treat.
This Horopito Tree ‘make & do’ pack includes:
- A set of activity pages that explore some of the unique and important roles of the Horopito plant in NZ. The completed pages are assembled to create a little freestanding display (would also look great hung with string so they can twirl in the breeze) or they can be stored flat and read like a little book.
- There is a selection of pages included – use as many as 11 or as few as 3!
- Themes covered include: space for making a bark and leaf rubbing of your Horopito; space for sketching the leaves, fruits and seed of this tree; investigate some of the historic uses of Horopito by Māori; complete the fact file with the scientific name, age, height, trunk girth/diameter of the Horopito & where it’s commonly found. Research further about it’s historic importance medicinally, learn more about it’s 4 different species, research & choose a delicious Horopito recipe, learn other quirky facts about the Horopito, the things that like to eat it, and live on it.
- This pack also includes a coloured Horopito tree fact file containing basic information about its common names, where it’s found, threats & historical use by Māori.
- An ‘I wonder’ task card containing 3 Horopito themed questions designed to prompt some deeper thinking about this unique tree.
- A coloured Horopito tree picture card
- *The foldable activity come with a supporting photograph sequence so you can see how to assemble the pages