Our resources are available as INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOADS, no physical resources will be shipped! This is an A4 sized document formatted as a PDF.
Did you know that adult Kereru produce a special type of smoothie (crop-milk and fruit puree!) to feed to their young chicks to help them to grow quickly?
This pack has been assembled to celebrate this amazingly unique native bird! If you’re lucky enough to be teaching or learning in a whanau group/syndicate team/pod or hub which bears its name, then you’re in for a treat.
This Kereru ‘make & do’ pack includes:
• A mini ‘one-cut-book’ which contains little Kereru related fun facts and research tasks
• A ‘keywords & colouring’ sheet containing a list of keywords to research, small colouring sheet, and 6 challenges (e.g. Write your own story or myth to explain why the Kereru wears a white vest; research the ways in which different native birds move and use your body to mimic some of the birds. Can an audience pick out the movements of a Kereru? This page cleverly folds to reveal the Kereru’s full name when the sheet is complete.
• A template for a Kereru paper hand puppet for the kids to colour, assemble and have fun with!
• A Kereru fact file containing basic information about its common names, threats & conservation status
• An ‘I wonder’ task card containing 3 Kereru themed questions designed to prompt some deeper thinking about this unique bird and its habits.
• A coloured Kereru picture card
• *All of the foldable activities come with a supporting photograph sequence so you can see how the activities are assembled and used