Our resources are available as INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOADS, no physical resources will be shipped! This file is in A4 PDF format.
Mā is white, whero is red, kākāriki green! If your class have mastered the basic colours in Māori, they’ll love building on their learning with the synonym cards included in this pack…. how about using ‘pākurakura’ (crimson, red), ‘hīwera’ (burnt red, scarlet), or ‘kuratea’ (pale/light red) instead of whero? Add a splash of colour to your classroom with the colourful kiwiana themed mini posters included – simply cut out and laminate before displaying around your room.
This Māori colours pack includes:
- An A5 mini poster for each colour featuring the word in Māori plus bright visuals.
- The posters have a kiwiana theme: red = pohutukawa; orange = monarch butterfly; yellow = kowhai; green = tiki; blue = pukeko; purple = kina; pink = puriri blossoms; white = pavlova; grey = eel; black = gumboots; brown = native skink; multi-coloured = kereru. *Also included in this set are gold, silver & bronze.
- Each colour is accompanied by a synonym card which shares a range of other words that can be used to describe the colour in Maori. Your class is probably fairly confident using kakariki/green, but how about some other these other beautifully descriptive words? Tāmaota = Fresh, green, lush; Kārikikōwhai = Lime green; Kārikihāura = Olive, greenish-brown, browny-green; Kārikikaho = Pale yellowish-green
- The synonym cards are a great tool to have on hand to support the use of rich vocabulary in the classroom…
- A black and white version of all the mini-posters, perfect for the children to complete as a colouring activity!