Looking to explore some of the impressive world records that Aotearoa holds in the area of Volcanoes and Geothermal activity? Wanting to delve further into where we fit into the ‘Ring of Fire?’ Then read on…..
This resource contains 4 sets of volcano activities – a 3D foldable volcano, 4 mini readers, a wall display map & 22 matching information and research task cards.
3D MINI FOLDABLE VOLCANO:
- 2 versions of the volcano plumes are included – one which names some of our major volcanoes, and the other which includes mini research challenges to prompt further learning.
4 MINI READERS, TOPICS INCLUDE:
- Our place in the Ring of Fire. What is the Ring of Fire? Where do we fit in?
- Volcanic Vocab. What types of new language might we learn as we explore the topic of volcanoes and geothermal activity? (Māori & English vocab included)
- Types of Volcanoes. Illustrations and basic language explaining the 3 main types of volcano found in NZ.
- Staying safe in the Shaky Isles. Prompts to discuss how we stay safe and prepare for earthquakes or volcanic activity, Who keeps us safe? How do scientist monitor volcanoes?
- Children can complete the activities in the mini readers before colouring, cutting, folding and then reading! *Looking for a larger reader? Enlarge & print these pages on to A3.
WALL DISPLAY MAP
- This wall display map includes 8 A4 sheets that are assembled into a larger poster which details more about our place in the Ring of Fire
- It’s designed to be complimented & displayed with the following information and research cards:
INFORMATION & TASK/RESEARCH CARDS
- 22 A4 sized cards that provide further information about some of our most well known volcanoes and geothermal areas.
- One half of each card provides information about where in NZ that particular volcano/geothermal area is located, what type of volcano it is, the area’s name in English & Maori, which iwi is kaitiaki to that area, significant dates relating to it’s formation/geothermal activity/eruptions and a general information blurb about it’s special features.
- The other half of the card provides an image of that specific area, plus 4 questions to prompt further investigation and learning about the volcanic or geothermal activity in that area
Volcanoes & Geothermal areas specifically included:
- Kaikohe Volcanic field
- Whangarei Volcanic field
- Little Barrier Island (Te Hauturu-o-Toi)
- Auckland Volcanic field
- Rangitoto Island
- Hot Water beach
- Mayor Island (Tūhua)
- Mt Maunganui
- Whakaari White Island
- Moutohora Whale Island
- Tarawera & Okataina Volcanic centre
- Pink & White Terraces
- Lake Taupo & Oruanui eruption
- Tongariro & Ngauruhoe
- Southern Alps
- Banks Peninsula
- Mt Horrible
- Dunedin Volcano & Mt Cargill