Did you know that our beautiful (unofficial) national flower is also the only deciduous native tree in Aotearoa?
This pack has been assembled to celebrate this amazingly unique native tree! If you’re lucky enough to be teaching or learning in a whanau group/syndicate team/pod or hub which bears its name, then you’re in for a treat.
This Kōwhai Tree ‘make & do’ pack includes:
• A set of activity pages that explore some of the unique and important roles of the Kōwhai tree in our native bush. The completed pages are assembled to create a little freestanding display (would also look great hung with string so they can twirl in the breeze) or they can be stored flat and read like a little book.
• There is a selection of pages included – use as many as 8 or as few as 3!
• Themes covered include: space for making a bark and leaf rubbing of your Kōwhai; space for sketching the leaves, seed pods & flowers of this tree; research and find out more about how the caterpillar of the Kōwhai moth which can completely DEFOLIATE trees; investigate some of the historic uses of the Kōwhai by Māori; add to the tree to show how many other creatures rely on this tree as a habitat/food source; complete the fact file with the scientific name, age, height, trunk girth/diameter of the Kōwhai & where it’s commonly found
• This pack also includes a coloured Kōwhai tree fact file containing basic information about its common names, where it’s found, threats & historical use by Māori.
• An ‘I wonder’ task card containing 3 Kōwhai themed questions designed to prompt some deeper thinking about this unique tree.
• A coloured Kōwhai tree picture card
• *The foldable activity come with a supporting photograph sequence so you can see how to assemble the pages