Our critically endangered Kākāpō are the world’s heaviest (& only flightless) parrots! They’re also unusual for being nocturnal, herbivorous & extremely long lived…
This pack has been assembled to celebrate this amazingly unique native bird! If you’re lucky enough to be teaching or learning in a whanau group/syndicate team/pod or hub which bears its name, then you’re in for a treat.
This Kākāpō ‘make & do’ pack includes:
- A mini ‘one-cut-book’ which contains little Kakapo related fun facts and research tasks
- A ‘keywords & colouring’ sheet containing a list of keywords to research, small colouring sheet, and 6 challenges e.g: Design and share a graph that shows the decline & then very, very slow recovery of the Kākāpō population over time; An unusual feature of the Kākāpō is it’s distinctive smell! Can you find out what the smell is described as? Why is this bad for it’s survival? *This page cleverly folds to reveal the Weka’s full name when the sheet is complete.
- A template for a Kakapo paper hand puppet for the kids to colour, assemble and have fun with!
- A Kākāpō fact file containing basic information about its common names, threats & conservation status
- An ‘I wonder’ task card containing 3 Kakapo themed questions designed to prompt some deeper thinking about this unique bird and its habits.
- A coloured Kākāpō picture card
- *All of the foldable activities come with a supporting photograph sequence so you can see how the activities are assembled and used