Our resources are available as INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOADS, no physical resources will be shipped! This file is in A4 PDF format.
Nothing gives me that Christmassy feeling like seeing our beautiful crimson Pōhutukawa trees in full bloom!
This pack has been assembled to celebrate this amazingly unique native tree! If you’re lucky enough to be teaching or learning in a whanau group/syndicate team/pod or hub which bears its name, then you’re in for a treat.
This Pōhutukawa ‘make & do’ pack includes:
- A set of activity pages that explore some of the unique and important roles of the Pōhutukawa tree within our native bush, and as a cultural and Christmas icon.
- The completed pages are assembled to create a little freestanding display (would also look great hung with string so they can twirl in the breeze) or they can be stored flat and read like a little book.
- There are a selection of pages included – use as many as 10 or as few as 3!
- Themes covered include: space for making a bark and leaf rubbing of your Pōhutukawa; space for sketching the leaves, seed pods & flowers of this tree; share your learning about different flowering varieties of this trees by adding blossoms to the tree provided; add to the tree to show how many other creatures rely on this tree as a habitat/food source; research and share your learning about the historical uses for this tree; complete the fact file with the scientific name, age, height, trunk girth/diameter of the Pōhutukawa & where it’s commonly found; investigate some ‘research & draw’ challenges which include finding out more about the important roles that the Pōhutukawa plays in Māori culture; discover how the Pōhutukawa has become one of our most recognisable Christmas icons.
- This pack also includes a coloured Pōhutukawa tree fact file containing basic information about its common names, where it’s found, threats & historical use by Māori.
- An ‘I wonder’ task card containing 3 Pōhutukawa themed questions designed to prompt some deeper thinking about this unique tree.
- A coloured Pōhutukawa picture card
- *The foldable activity come with a supporting photograph sequence so you can see how to assemble the pages