You’ve probably spotted this beautiful bird on our $20 note, but did you know that the fast flying Kārearea is Aotearoa’s only falcon? Experts say this threatened species has fewer than 3000-5000 breeding pairs left…
This pack has been assembled to celebrate this amazingly unique native bird! If you’re lucky enough to be teaching or learning in a whanau group/syndicate team/pod or hub which bears its name, then you’re in for a treat.
This Kārearea ‘make & do’ pack includes:
• A mini ‘one-cut-book’ which contains little Kārearea related fun facts and research tasks
• A ‘keywords & colouring’ sheet containing a list of keywords to research, small colouring sheet, and 6 challenges (e.g. Find out the exact height & wingspan measurements for a Kārearea & create a LIFE SIZED picture. *You could do this with chalk outside; Can you find any mentions of this amazing bird in Māori myth or legend?) This page cleverly folds to reveal the Kārearea’s full name when the sheet is complete
• A template for a Kārearea paper hand puppet for the kids to colour, assemble and have fun with!
• A Kārearea fact file containing basic information about its common names, threats & conservation status
• An ‘I wonder’ task card containing 3 Kārearea themed questions designed to prompt some deeper thinking about this unique bird and its habits.
• A coloured Kārearea picture card
*All of the foldable activities come with a supporting photograph sequence so you can see how the activities are assembled and used