The Weka is a large, brown flightless bird that has a naughty reputation because of its super cheeky & curious personality!
This pack has been assembled to celebrate this amazingly unique native bird! If you’re lucky enough to be teaching or learning in a whanau group/syndicate team/pod or hub which bears its name, then you’re in for a treat.
This Weka ‘make & do’ pack includes:
- A mini ‘one-cut-book’ which contains little Weka related fun facts and research tasks
- A ‘keywords & colouring’ sheet containing a list of keywords to research, small colouring sheet, and 6 challenges e.g: People born in NZ call themselves “Kiwis” – what do Chatham Islanders call themselves? Why were Weka given the nickname of “BUSH HENS?” This page cleverly folds to reveal the Weka’s full name when the sheet is complete.
- A template for a Weka paper hand puppet for the kids to colour, assemble and have fun with!
- A Weka fact file containing basic information about its common names, threats & conservation status
- An ‘I wonder’ task card containing 3 Weka themed questions designed to prompt some deeper thinking about this unique bird and its habits.
- A coloured Weka picture card
- *All of the foldable activities come with a supporting photograph sequence so you can see how the activities are assembled and used