Our resources are available as INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOADS, no physical resources will be shipped! This is an A4 sized document formatted as a PDF.
Did you know that 20% of the South Island’s fantail population is completely black?
This pack has been assembled to celebrate this amazingly unique native bird! If you’re lucky enough to be teaching or learning in a whanau group/syndicate team/pod or hub which bears its name, then you’re in for a treat.
This Pīwakawaka ‘make & do’ pack includes:
• A mini ‘one-cut-book’ which contains little Pīwakawaka related fun facts and research tasks
• A ‘keywords & colouring’ sheet containing a list of keywords to research, small colouring sheet, and 6 challenges (e.g. create a dance to share with an audience that mimics the flitting moves of a fantail) Can you find any mentions of this amazing bird in Māori myth or legend? This page cleverly folds to reveal the Pīwakawaka’s full name when the sheet is complete
• A template for a Pīwakawaka paper hand puppet for the kids to colour, assemble and have fun with!
• A P1iwakawaka fact file containing basic information about its common names, threats & conservation status
• An ‘I wonder’ task card containing 3 fantail themed questions designed to prompt some deeper thinking about this unique bird and its habits.
• A coloured Pīwakawaka picture card
• *All of the foldable activities come with a supporting photograph sequence so you can see how the activities are assembled and used