Our resources are available as INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOADS, no physical resources will be shipped! This file is in A4 PDF format.
Add some colour to your wall display with these interchangeable Māori months and seasons of the year – simply cut out and laminate before letting your students change the word cards for you!
This ngā marama o te tau (months of the year) pack includes:
- A selection of 31 numbered characters that show the exact days of the month (change your character daily to match the date!)
- Speech bubbles (for the characters) to support your class to ask: “Ko te aha tēnei marama?” – “What month is this?” (one in Māori with English translation, the other in Māori only)
- Season cards in Māori & English plus Māori only (summer, autumn, winter & spring)
- All cards are colour coded to show what season the months are part of (e.g. The summer months of December, January & February are all yellow, the autumn months of March, April & May are orange etc.)
- All month and season cards also include some small pictures to match any themes occurring in that month (e.g the Māori flag is shown on February because of Waitangi day; poppies on April because of Anzac day; Pohutukawa flowers on December etc.)
- Word cards that show the Modern Māori version of the months of the year (considered to be the preferred version in the modern classroom: Kohitātea, Hui-tanguru, Poutū-te-rangi, Paenga-whāwhā, Haratua, Pipiri, Hōngongoi, Here-turi-kōkā, Mahuru, Whiringa-ā-nuku, Whiringa-ā-rangi & Hakihea) In both Māori with English translations, and Māori only.
- Word cards for the older version of the months of the year (Kupu arotau – loan words: Hanuere, Pēpuere, Maehe, Āperira, Mei, Hune, Hūrae, Ākuhata, Hepetema, Ōketopa, Noema & Tīhema) In Māori with English Translation.